Transition times can be hard. Winter to Spring, Spring to Summer, pants to shorts. One thing that shouldn’t be hard is choosing to have an awesome time! With the Classic Extreme wrapping up, the Chilliwack Canyon is opening and getting ready to play! Break out those shorts, slap on some sunscreen and get ready…
Chilliwack Canyon season is sneaking up!
June 2, 2018 PM Canyon
But what is Chilliwack Canyon season? And how is it different from Classic Extreme?
The Classic Extreme is our extreme high water option. Early season, as the snow melts and the water level rises, the Chilliwack Classic fills with huge waves and fast water. The first time down, everyone gets used to paddling and getting wet… AND THEN… a second, optional lap of the last 4-km of continuous class 3 and 4 is offered for those keen and stoked. On this lap, we go full send and hit things hard- where “extreme” earns its name.
The stoke from Classic Extreme is high and that definitely doesn’t go away on the Chilliwack Canyon trip!
June 1 PM Classic Extreme
As the river transitions away from flood levels to more sane water levels, we take the rafts down a completely different section of the Chilliwack river. The Chilliwack Canyon is 14 kilometers of continuous class 3-4 whitewater above the Chilliwack Classic. Like all great things, the Chilliwack Canyon can’t stay open all year. This prime extreme rafting trip is open during medium water flows and is sure to get you dreaming of being raft guide (one of us, one of us…).
June 2 Pm Canyon
Like we said, transitions are tough and the river has a mind of its own. Some days the water is screaming Classic Extreme, other days it rumbles Chilliwack Canyon. To make the transition from one season to the next easier, throw on your zip-off pants and get stoked for a good time. There is only one season – the extremely soaked season!
Let’s Go Rafting
They said it would be fun. 🙂
We are open year round at all water flows and have four adventures to choose from. Have you tried the Classic Extreme, the Chilliwack Canyon, or the Inflatable Kayak Adventure?
- Chilliwack Classic
- Chilliwack Canyon
- Chilliwack Classic Extreme
- Inflatable Kayaking
Check out the river forecast below to see an approximation of when which trips will be open to help you plan your Chilliwack River Rafting Adventure.
Ps. Check out the first trip of 2018 below! It is never to early to raft the Chilliwack River.
January 20, 2018 Canyon Trip
Rafters and kayakers are a different breed of humans. They live in the moment, work hard/play hard and love having a good time. When a raft resort is established for over 30 years, quirks and various traditions arise. In honor of Chilliwack River Rafting’s 20th year commercially rafting on the Chilliwack, here’s a list of 20 reasons why we love sharing our wacky lifestyle with everyone.
- Listening to the river 24/7! It is next to us when we’re working, eating and sleeping; we can hear when the water levels rise overnight and when they fall. This relaxing, constant background noise puts us to sleep each night and wakes us up each morning.
- The moment when you turn down Chilliwack Lake Road and the air cools, the wind feels fresher and snow capped mountains raise up around you. The hustle and bustle of the city fades away…
- Birds cheerfully chirping just before daybreak. They are particularly active in the springtime, when they are attracting mates and getting ready to nest.
- Meeting each and every adventure seeker who comes from near and far, looking to try a cool, new experience. You guys are delightful!
- Making people happy, watching them overcoming their fears and learning from one another.
- A relaxing, hot wood burning sauna after a satisfying whitewater trip with windows looking out onto the river. It’s such a good way to bond and exchange stories after a trip.
- Healthy lunches everyday! Who doesn’t love chilli, cheese and salads?
- This is what a day in the office looks like:
- Sunny outdoor volleyball games with guests and guides. Sometimes there’s crazy outfits.
- Spontaneous group jam sessions where everyone brings an instrument, a drink and laugh! The best part is when your friends surprise you with hidden musical talents.
- Saturday theme nights: Dress ups, music, campfires and pancakes the next morning. Party on!
- Woodpeckers rat tat tatting on metal chimneys. They think that they are going to break through the “bark” and eat bugs or build a nest. The racket is unreal.
- Having a hiking mecca just up the road from our resort; so many fun outdoorsy trips to do on Chilliwack Lake Road.
- Watching fish swim under your boat in October during the salmon run. Schools of fish leap upstream in nearby streams while the surrounding leaves spiral down in the wind.
- Rafting in June when the water is pumping, rocking and rolling. The power of the river demands respect.
- Inflatable kayaking in August when the water is warm, friendly and fun.
- Living in the moment and being fully present on the river. Nothing else matters except how you work together to maneuver safely.
- Sharing the experience with friends; there’s always something interesting to talk about after a trip.
- A sense of community and connectedness that comes with the lifestyle. Lifelong friendships spring up here between outdoorsy people from all over the world.
- Bottom line: we love our staff and we love our costumers. It is the people who care about a place that make it special.